![]() |
| Back: Ike, Clint, Cory Front: Whitney, Elisa, Mom, Tyler Taken at Lori's wedding - Dad was working |
Recently I had the opportunity to attend The Moth in Brooklyn. The Moth, it is a podcast/radio program that is taken from live storytelling events. Prior to moving to NYC, I had gotten really into them, as I love stories. The thought of telling a story in front of a live audience terrifies me, but I decided to write a story anyhow. It needs some editing, but I am posting it here, as my mom is one of the subjects of my story. Enjoy.
MISS CORY
When I was seventeen years old I was diagnosed with
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, also known as ITP. I can still clearly
remember going to our family physician’s office with my mom, convinced that my
head to toe bruising was caused by anemia, having been a vegetarian for two
years. My mom, who happens to be a nurse, was convinced that I had leukemia,
something that she failed to mention prior to the appointment. We were both
thrown a curve ball that day and presented with ITP, an autoimmune disorder
that causes one’s immune system to attack blood platelets, the body’s clotting
factor. Maybe it was my naivety or my flair for the dramatic, but I left my
doctor’s office in hysterics, knowing that my life would never be the same.
Meanwhile, my mom was practically overjoyed that I didn’t have leukemia. At
least that is how I remember it. I ended up going to a specialist who confirmed
the diagnosis of ITP and immediately started on high doses of prednisone, a
steroid that suppresses the immune system. I tend to be quite sensitive to
medications and even low doses of prednisone send me into a physical, emotional
and mental tailspin. At that time, they were giving me 80 mg of prednisone. I
was a wreck! The best way that I can describe it is feeling like I could run a
marathon but being so physically exhausted that I could barely move. I felt
like I could crawl out of my own skin. Historically during prednisone
treatments I would find myself mopping my kitchen floor at 3 am, not being able
to sleep for more than an hour at a time. When I was seventeen, the prednisone
caused some weird hallucinations. My favorite hallucination was feeling like my
teeth were huge and I was tiny. My oldest brother still calls me Chicklet teeth
to this day.
After being on the prednisone for a few weeks, there was a
significant increase in my platelet count and they began to taper me off of the
medication, only to have my counts plummet. They decided that they would
perform a splenectomy within a week of my high school graduation. I was
convinced I was going to die. I believed that I was going to go into surgery and
never wake up. This belief was further validated by the fact that my sweet
mother started giving me my Christmas gifts early, something that I jest with
her occasionally to this day. During this time I missed a lot of school. Often
I would stay at school for half of the day and leave early to take a nap. I was
emotionally exhausted and scared.
![]() |
| Marlene |
My parents are amazing people. I am the fourth of six
children. My dad is a movie buff and I have a younger sister who is named after
a song sung by Robert Redford in Paint
Your Wagon. Once, as a child, when I was complaining about having a boy’s
name, my mom informed me that I was actually named after two women. Cory, she
informed me, was a character from a movie called The Reivers, based on the book by William Faulkner and Marlene, my
middle name was from her best friend in high school. I am a pretty inquisitive
person, however I never felt compelled to watch The Reivers. On one of those days when I was home sick, or maybe
just emotionally exhausted, I was laying in my parent’s bed flipping thorough
channels. And there it was—The Reivers,
a very 1970’s looking film, starring a young, handsome Steve McQueen. In the
movie, Steve’s character and his friend steal his father’s car (the only one in
the county) and drive it into town to visit, Miss Cory. The first thing I
noticed about Miss Cory is that she had very 1970s style feathered hair. The
next thing that I noticed is that Miss Cory happens to be a prostitute and she
lives at a whorehouse. For the second time in a year, I knew that my life would
never be the same. I didn’t wait to finish the movie. I immediately picked up
the phone, and called my mom, who was at work. “Seriously?” I accused. “You
named me after a prostitute!” No apology. She simply replied, “But she didn’t
want to be, she wanted to get married and have a family.” In that moment I
think that I still thought that I was going to die, but there was a part of me
that also knew that I needed to live—this knowledge was too great to not be
used to my advantage—as much as humanly possible!
![]() |
| Miss Cory |
I survived the splenectomy, and I have survived the
more-than-I’d-like prednisone treatments that I have had over the past eighteen
years. I survived the bone pain associated with an exploratory treatment. I
still allow myself to cry every time I have to start another prednisone
treatment. Sometimes I handle it better than other times. Sometimes I am braver
than other times. And sometimes I don’t think about it at all. But every time
someone calls me Miss Cory, which happens more than one would guess, I smile.
It reminds me that I am alive. That humor exists through hardship. That
sometimes we are given what we need at the exact time that we need it, and that
I would not have survived this far without my sweet, AMAZING mother.




No comments:
Post a Comment